Knit it, Violet!
Finished objects, works in progress, and lots of rambling about two sticks and some string...
Tuesday, June 02, 2009
  Catching up
I got my wisdom teeth taken out on Friday.
Good Riddance, Wisdom Teeth
I took today off from work because I'm still in a good amount of pain, so I thought it would be a good time to catch up on some things I've wanted to blog. I have lots of FO's to talk about, but for now I want to talk about my Dye Techniques class I took this past semester. I'm so glad I got the chance to take such an awesome, fun, inspiring class my last semester at HSU.

We learned a lot of different techniques, including a lot of things I definitely plan on doing again. Here's a silk painting I did, one of our first projects:
Silk Painting


I can't express how in love I am with Alter Ego Dyes. Can you believe I put this fabric swatch in one vat of purple dye? The silk absorbs one color dye, and the synthetic fiber absorbs the other. The result is beautiful.
Alter Ego Dyes
.
Because the fabric's expensive, we only got to dye a swatch, but I'm planning on sewing it into a little pouch. Wouldn't a whole dress dyed like this be gorgeous?

For our final, we dyed swatches of different fabrics in a variety of Rit dyes, so we could have a reference log of sorts.
Swatches!
It's inspiring to just flip through them and arrange them in different combination.

I met a lot of knitters in the class, and of course we had an acid dyeing demo. I had some white lamb's pride at home, and I whipped up this with Wilton dyes and Kool-Aid.
Dyed by me
There will definitely be more yarn dyeing in my future. I've got a lot of work lined up this summer, but I'm also hoping to make time to craft and put some things in my etsy shop, which is currently filled with cobwebs.

That's it for now. I'm resting, drinking cocoa and listening to birds chirp after a nice thunderstorm this morning. Finishing up some old UFO's and excited about sharing again on this blog!

Labels: , , , ,

 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: up in the redwoods, California, United States

violet is a crafty girl with feminist values. knitting is her main squeeze, but she also flirts with sewing, embroidery, mosaics, jewelry making, block printing, and polymer clay. she's also been known to cook and garden. she loves a good thrift shop, teapots, and her boyfriend kellen.

Gift Socks #3

Bear Claw Blanket

Super Secret Sweater
My Flickr
Twitter!
101 in 1001

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous |Next


8 pairs in 2006!
6 pairs in 2007!
1 pair in 2008!

My Amazon.com Wish List

My Secret Pal 11 Q&A

Powered by Blogger
AmazingCounters.com

.