Knit it, Violet!
Finished objects, works in progress, and lots of rambling about two sticks and some string...
Friday, April 11, 2008
  Year of the Sweater?
How did April already get here? It's a gorgeous warm day, and here I am posting about two wool (well, one wool, one wool/acrylic blend) sweaters that I knit while it was still winter! We'll start with the one I finished most recently. My fourth sweater, but the first one for me!

Karla and I have been itching for some knitalongs for over a year, and we both have a major crush on all the ZephyrStyle Patterns. So, before she moved we cast on the Wicked, hoping to finish it before the weather warmed up, which I did! We cast on late February and I cast off early March.

This photo shows the gorgeous color of this yarn really well. When I got three skeins from my Secret Pal, I knew it would be perfect for a sweater, so I cast on even though I knew I needed 5 more balls. Knitpicks came to my rescue and even though they are completely different dye-lots, there's not even the slightest color discrepancy. I love it.
Wicked and the tree.
Pattern: Wicked by Zephyr Style. On Ravelry , too
Yarn: Knitpicks Wool of the Andes, Claret Heather, 8 balls.
Needles: Knitpicks Options, US 7
Mods: Added about 1.5" of stockinette stitch below the pocket because I have a long torso.
I love everything about this sweater. It's warm and cute, and while the pocket threatens to draw too much attention to tummy pudge, the waist shaping keeps it from looking frumpy. Heathered wool, mock cables, and a knit along? What more could a girl ask for?

In August 2006, I swatched for Kellen's sweater. It was going to be the first I knit him. And it was going to be all black. And a Men's large. After the swatch, I dabbled here and there, modifying the pattern without writing down what I was doing. Then I stuffed it in the closet. In January of this year, I frogged my progress and started again. This time, start to finish took about 2 months.
Sweater Boy
I really enjoyed knitting it this time, and that made it go so fast. I think he looks pretty darn cute in it, too, huh? He claims it's comfy, and as I predicted, the sweater curse can bite me. I can't wait to cast on the next one for him! psst, it'll be a Cobblestone pullover! It'll be an "easy" project without being boring.
Sweater curse, Sweater shmurse
Pattern: Jesse's Flames from Stitch n Bitch Nation by Debbie Stoller. (On Ravelry, here) Yarn: Lion Brand Wool Ease. 8 skeins.
Needles: KnitPicks Options, US 8
Mods: No flames on the sleeves, thanks.

So now it's spring and warming up, but there's still some chilly evenings that make sweaters useful. Especially watching my brother's little league games on ice cold bleachers! Plus, sporting handknits ups a couple's cuteness, don't you think?
We Wear Sweaters.

Labels: , ,

 
Comments:
I love the color of your Wicked -- just gorgeous on you!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: up in the redwoods, California, United States

violet is a crafty girl with feminist values. knitting is her main squeeze, but she also flirts with sewing, embroidery, mosaics, jewelry making, block printing, and polymer clay. she's also been known to cook and garden. she loves a good thrift shop, teapots, and her boyfriend kellen.

Gift Socks #3

Bear Claw Blanket

Super Secret Sweater
My Flickr
Twitter!
101 in 1001

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous |Next


8 pairs in 2006!
6 pairs in 2007!
1 pair in 2008!

My Amazon.com Wish List

My Secret Pal 11 Q&A

Powered by Blogger
AmazingCounters.com

.