Knit it, Violet!
Finished objects, works in progress, and lots of rambling about two sticks and some string...
Sunday, February 24, 2008
  Playing Ketchup, or Xmas in February
Well, I'm still waiting to get my digital camera issues resolved, but I finally got my film developed from Xmas. So here is a recap of all the secret Christmas knitting you missed out on, plus a few pictures of our celebrations. Better late than never, right?
Click to make photos bigger.

Our little tree, Me and The Boys, Presents!

Now for the knitting...

Travis' Volcano Socks. Yarn: Knitpicks Essential Twist in Volcano. Needles: US size 0. Pattern: Basic Sock Recipe, standard heel flap. Men's size 11. The fact that these are shown posing with the Halloween pumpkins shows how long I was knitting them...and unfortunately my gauge revealed it too. When it came to hours of marathon knitting mid-December, I apparently loosened up and one sock was bigger than the other. I thought he wouldn't notice, but being an older brother, it was the first thing he pointed out. I still like them, and I hope he does too. They're his colors, after all.

Okay, to be honest, those socks were supposed to be for his birthday. Here's his actual Xmas present. Pattern: Hello Yarn's There be Pirates hat. Yarn: Knitpicks Telemark in Black and Squirrel Heather, with Shine Sport cotton lining in Cherry. Needles: US 3 for hat, US 1 for lining. I Loooved knitting this. It was my first "big" stranded knitting project and it was so much fun. I want one for myself.

Grandma's Fairly Easy Sweater. Yarn: Lion Brand Jiffy in Turquoise. Needles: US 10.5. Pattern: Fairly Easy Fair Isle (minus the Fair Isle) in SNBN. I really loved knitting this. The buttons have real pressed flowers! The yarn is acrylic, but very cozy. I didn't get a pic of Grandma wearing it, so you'll have to settle for a shot of me at 2AM.

Mom's Sweater. Pattern: Sitcom Chic from Knitty.com. Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in Autumn Red. . .or Harvest Red. I forget. Needles: US size 7, knitpicks Options. This was the first sweater I ever knit and I really enjoyed it. It went fairly quickly too!

Auntie's Monkeys. Pattern: The ubiquitous Monkey from Knitty.com. Yarn: Knitpicks essential multi in Blue Violet. Needles: US 1 dpns. I really loved knitting these. I think the pattern is perfect for variegated yarn like this. The different pooling was really interesting. But, like Travis' socks, my hours of knitting caught up to me and the second sock was bigger. The good thing is it's superwash yarn and hopefully they'll shrink a bit to size. I was pretty devastated when I grafted the toe Xmas Eve and realized the discrepancy. My aunt fuels my knitting addiction and I really wanted the socks to be gorgeous (and wearable!) Hopefully they're loved anyway.

Dad's Griswold Hat and Scarf, left. Yarn: Lion Brand Homespun in Edwardian. No pattern. Needles: US 10.5. Leslie's Kittyville, center. Pattern: Kittyville from Stitch n Bitch. Yarn: Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in Coal and Austermann Metropolis, which is the shiny stuff. Needles: US 7. Mason Dixon Washcloths, right. Pattern: Mason Dixon Washcloth, from Mason Dixon Knitting. Yarn: Sugar and Creme from the stash. Needles: US 7, maybe 5? I gave these to my aunties with bath stuff. All three of these gifts were quick and fun. Obviously I didn't get any pictures of them with their recipients, which is why you're looking at my mug.

Whew! I think that about wraps up Christmas, only two months late. As usual, you can see more details on My flickr, and My Ravelry Page. Hopefully I'll be back soon, with more current knitting! I've got a lot on the needles, as usual.

Labels: ,

 
Comments:
Every time I've made socks or baby booties the second one ends up smaller. D'oh!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: up in the redwoods, California, United States

violet is a crafty girl with feminist values. knitting is her main squeeze, but she also flirts with sewing, embroidery, mosaics, jewelry making, block printing, and polymer clay. she's also been known to cook and garden. she loves a good thrift shop, teapots, and her boyfriend kellen.

Gift Socks #3

Bear Claw Blanket

Super Secret Sweater
My Flickr
Twitter!
101 in 1001

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous |Next


8 pairs in 2006!
6 pairs in 2007!
1 pair in 2008!

My Amazon.com Wish List

My Secret Pal 11 Q&A

Powered by Blogger
AmazingCounters.com

.