Knit it, Violet!
Finished objects, works in progress, and lots of rambling about two sticks and some string...
Friday, June 15, 2007
  Swallowtails and Busy Bees
I'm plugging away on the swallowtail shawl, version 2:

The pattern is so much easier this time around. It wasn't exactly hard last time, but now that I really understand the construction, I can look at the stitches logically, so it's easier to fix any mistakes as they arise. I just finished the first lilly of the valley border, so only two more charts and this baby will be ready for blocking. I find it a little bit funny that I'm going so much faster than last time, when I was on a deadline. I have all the time in the world this time around, and I've buzzed through this far in about a week or two.

Speaking of buzzing...Brittney, Karla and I have just about finished our Bzz hats that we're knitting along together. Okay, actually all I need to do is break my yarn and weave in the ends (plus sew on buttons, which we're going to do all together. I lost mine though! That's what I get for cleaning...So another trip to the craft store needs to happen soon) The hat is not my only Bees on The Brain project though:

Pattern: McCalls M4323, with modifications. Fabric: from my local Joanne's. I'm not totally thrilled with how this came out, for one, it sat in my closet for weeks because I could not get the lining sewn in properly, and the directions left a lot to be desired. I finally managed to get it all together, but there are definitely more puckers and gathers than there should be. The handles are sort of ill-fitting too. I omitted the pockets and the snap because I just didn't want to sew them. Next time (if there is a next time) I'll use a stiffer interfacing too, since it's a little floppy. As a whole, though, I do like the purse. I am absolutely crazy about bees (my family raised them while I was growing up, and my father continues to do so.) and the fabric is way cute. Maybe I'll use it as a knitting bag.

Hey, are you on Ravelry? I just got my invite a few days ago, and I'd love some new friends. I feel geeky adding people when I'm not sure if they know who I am or not. So do a shy girl a favor, and stop by my page and say hi! And if you're not a member yet, join the waiting list, but be patient. It took a few weeks for my invite to come (but I think they're going through the list more quickly now) but it was worth it. Except now I have another excuse to spend precious knitting time online! It's a double edged sword. ...Or maybe, a double pointed needle?

Labels: , ,

 
Comments:
that shawl is coming out gorgeous! funny how things work when you're not on a deadline. the bee fabric is adorable. is that a honeycomb background? cuuute!
 
i changed my name. even though i've been saying raverly this whole time i still felt kinda weird having my blog called me unraveled.
 
Lucky! I wish i was on ravelry, i've been waiting for months! Is it as amazing as everyone keeps claiming?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: up in the redwoods, California, United States

violet is a crafty girl with feminist values. knitting is her main squeeze, but she also flirts with sewing, embroidery, mosaics, jewelry making, block printing, and polymer clay. she's also been known to cook and garden. she loves a good thrift shop, teapots, and her boyfriend kellen.

Gift Socks #3

Bear Claw Blanket

Super Secret Sweater
My Flickr
Twitter!
101 in 1001

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous |Next


8 pairs in 2006!
6 pairs in 2007!
1 pair in 2008!

My Amazon.com Wish List

My Secret Pal 11 Q&A

Powered by Blogger
AmazingCounters.com

.